KYOCERA Develops Real Edge 600dpi Thermal Printhead for Card Printing with Enhanced Security Applications
Proprietary design enables printing directly onto ID and credit cards
02 August 2016
Kyoto / Neuss − Kyocera Corporation (President: Goro Yamaguchi) announced the launch of a real edge 600-dot-per-inch (dpi) thermal printhead for desktop card printers used for rigid materials such as ID cards and credit cards. The KPE Series 600dpi printhead, available worldwide from this month, provides crisp, high resolution printing with delicate color expression.
The new 600dpi model is fully compatible with the conventional 300dpi printhead design enabling an easy upgrade for existing printer designs.
Kyocera has mass-produced thermal printheads for card printers since 1993 enabling simple, fast and high-resolution printing of a wide range of cards including ID cards and credit cards. The company currently holds the world’s largest market share in printheads for desktop card printers*.
|Model||KPE Series 600dpi|
|Application||Desktop card printers|
|Production Facilities||Front-end process in Kagoshima Hayato Plant (Japan)|
Back-end process in Nagano Okaya Plant (Japan)
|Start of Production||July 2016 (upon request)|
|Production Target||15,000 units/year|
In recent years, the demand for ID and credit cards with high-resolution photos or stealth characters has grown along with the need to ensure security. More companies are utilizing cards with photos for employee and customer management; and compact, simple card printers capable of instant issuance in-house are becoming mainstream among retail stores. In recent years, the demand for such cards is growing not only in Japan, the U.S. and Europe, but also in China and India. The new Kyocera KPE 600dpi Series allows users to print with delicate color expression and high resolution.
1. Kyocera’s proprietary real edge design
Kyocera’s printheads for card printing feature a real edge design that enables printing without bending the media in order to print on rigid materials such as plastic. A proprietary innovation, Kyocera’s printheads place the heater element (head which prints images) on the thin edge of a substrate so that the media does not have to bend.
2. Delicate color expression and high-definition character printing
The new product employs high-density pattern wiring, which places the heater of the head for printing at a pitch of 42μm. Furthermore, based on the establishment of a manufacturing technology for photolithography processing which enables this high-density wiring, the product achieves a high resolution of 600dpi.
3. Easy upgrade for existing printer designs
Since the new product features the same size as Kyocera’s conventional 300dpi printhead and ensures compatible input signal arrays, printer manufacturers can easily design high-resolution 600dpi card printers while making use of existing printer designs.
*Based on research by Kyocera (as of June 2016)
For more info about Kyocera Printing Devices, please visit: http://www.kyocera.eu/index/products/thermal_printheads.html
For more information about Kyocera: www.kyocera.eu
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- KYOCERA continues growth in data management with acquisition of software provider Alos
- Sharp, sharper, Shin White
- KYOCERA BOOSTS CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE WITH AMAZON DASH REPLENISHMENT INTEGRATION
- High tech meets the perfect steak: KYOCERA presents steak knives with sharp and long-lasting ceramic blades
- KYOCERA designs and manufactures new ultra-small robust ceramic UHF RFID Tag to trace surgical instruments for the Medical Market
- KYOCERA to Participate in Japan’s Virtual Power Plant Project to Improve Energy Management
- Announcement of the 2018 Kyoto Prize Laureates
- KYOCERA's ecology commitment leads to Green designation of 99% of product
- New KYOCERA Electronic Connectors Offer World’s Highest Mating Tolerance, Withstand up to +125°C
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 29.2MW Solar Power Plant on Repurposed Land in Japan
- KYOCERA’s New Industrial Cutting Tool with Ultra-Durable Coating Materials Maximizes Steel Cutting Performance
- KYOCERA offers sustainable and premium-quality coffee enjoyment with the new Coffee Grinder EG-70CF
- KYOCERA Enters into License Agreement with Bosch
- KYOCERA exhibited Fine Ceramic Components at Germany’s Hannover Messe
- KYOCERA Named Among Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics