Kyocera Named Among Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics
Company’s patent success rate, global reach recognized for fifth consecutive year
06 March 2019
Kyoto/London – Kyocera Corporation was recognized as one of the Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators 2018-19 by Clarivate Analytics, a Philadelphia-based global information solutions provider focusing on intellectual property and the sciences. Kyocera’s patent success rate and global reach were identified as outstanding, marking the fifth consecutive for Kyocera to receive this recognition. The award was presented at Kyocera headquarters in Kyoto, Japan.
The Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators awards have been presented annually since 2011 to recognize leading enterprises and research institutions for success in generating innovation. Honorees are selected by Clarivate Analytics after an analysis of intellectual property (IP) and patents using Clarivate’s original methodology.
Candidates are evaluated by patent and citation data across four main criteria: “Volume,” “Success,” “Globalization,” and “Influence.” Among these, Kyocera’s “Success” and “Globalization” led to its recognition among the top innovators.
Kyocera’s commitment to innovation has resulted in more than 18,000 patents*1 worldwide to date, as well as a deep respect for the IP rights of other companies and institutions. The company has established patent offices in Japan, the U.S., China, and Germany to maximize IP development and protection in its four principal business areas, which include the information & communications, automotive, environment & energy, and medical & healthcare markets. In May 2018, Kyocera launched its IP website to showcase its intellectual property and licensing programs. The site details various proprietary technologies cultivated through decades of research and development including “V2X” (vehicle to everything) solutions; a new silver alloy that maintains the original shine of silver jewelry over time; and a new coating technology that extends the life expectancy of artificial hip joints, to name a few recent innovations.
Kyocera also recently received two awards for mobile phone designs: the “2018 Good Design Award” honoring the Kyocera “BASIO® 3” smartphone for seniors; and the prestigious iF DESIGN AWARD 2019 for the Kyocera DuraForce PRO 2 — the only rugged 4G LTE smartphone with a Super Wide View 4K Action Camera and virtually scratchproof Sapphire Shield Display.
Methodology of Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators
Clarivate Analytics surveys four main criteria to select the Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators. Details are available at: https://clarivate.com/top100innovators/methodology/
*1 Based on research by Kyocera (as of February 2019).
For more information on KYOCERA: www.kyocera.eu
Contact for more information:
Mr. Kenichi Hara
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- Kyocera Targets 30 % Greenhouse Gas Reduction by 2030, Recognized by Science Based Targets Initiative
- Kyocera and BYD Japan to Collaborate on Integrated Energy System for Electric Vehicles
- Announcement of the 2019 Kyoto Prize Laureates
- Kyocera to Acquire Advanced Ceramic Business of Germany-based Friatec GmbH
- Kyocera to Acquire SouthernCarlson, Inc., a US-based Distributor of Fasteners, Tools, and Packaging
- Kyocera Display Europe GmbH becomes Kyocera Automotive and Industrial Solutions GmbH
- Approval of Kyocera’s Acquisition of the Ownership of H.C. Starck Ceramics GmbH complete
- Kyocera Document Solutions unveils a renewed brand identity – aligned with the iconic company’s vision for the years ahead
- Kyocera to Build New Facility in Shiga, Japan to Produce Automated Equipment for “Smart Factory”
- Kyocera is set to exhibit at Ceramics UK
- Kyocera set to present its innovations - cordierite and many other fine ceramic components - at this year’s Hannover Messe
- KYOCERA named as a leader in Western Europe smart multifunction printers by IDC MarketScape
- Kyocera Document Solutions UK awarded place on new UK Government Framework
- Kyocera and LO3 ENERGY to Demonstrate Blockchain-Managed Virtual Power Plant
- Kyocera Named Among Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics