KYOCERA Breaks Ground on New Manufacturing Plant for Ceramic Structural Components in Kagoshima, Japan
New facility will produce durable, high-precision components for semiconductor and LCD manufacturing equipment
28 November 2017
Kyoto/London – Kyocera Corporation (President: Hideo Tanimoto) held a groundbreaking ceremony last week for a manufacturing plant expansion in Kirishima City, Kagoshima, Japan, where it plans to double its production capacity for fine ceramic structural components.
The expansion, scheduled for completion in October 2018, will bring a new building with 29,232 square meters (about 314,650 square feet) of additional space. The new plant will produce fine ceramic structural components used mainly by companies that manufacture semiconductors or liquid-crystal displays (LCDs).
Kyocera anticipates rising demand for semiconductors and LCDs as Internet of Things (IoT) and artificial intelligence (AI) applications boost demand for high-speed, high-volume data processing. The shift from hard-disk data storage to semiconductor memory and solid-state drives has increased demand for semiconductor processing equipment. Additionally, the proliferation of high-definition (HD) display technology in TVs and smartphones has increased demand for the equipment used to manufacture flat-panel displays. Kyocera’s new plant will produce components used in key manufacturing processes for these and other high-precision products.
Kyocera’s investment will contribute to Kagoshima’s local economy and create employment opportunities. The groundbreaking reflects a construction agreement executed in October between Kyocera and the city of Kirishima.
Details of the New Plant
|Name||Kyocera Corporation Kagoshima Kokubu Plant #4-1|
|Location||On the premises of Kyocera’s existing Kagoshima Kokubu Plant,|
1-1 Kokubuyamashita-cho, Kirishima, Kagoshima 899-4396 Japan
|Construction cost||Approximately 5.6 billion yen (approx. USD 50.4 million)|
|Total floor space||29,232m2|
|Expected start of operations||October 2018|
|Main products||Fine ceramic structural components used in semiconductor and flat-panel display manufacturing equipment|
|First-year production plan||Approximately 3 billion yen (from October 2018 through March 2019)|
Contact for technical information:
Mr. Kenichi Hara
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- Kyocera Receives Japan’s Environment Minister’s Award for Record 9th Consecutive Year
- Kyocera to Participate in Self-Driving Bus Test Project on JR East BR Lines
- Innovative, durable, and beautiful: Kyocera presents high-quality kitchen tools demonstrating the advantages of its ceramic technology at the BBC Good Food Show in Birmingham from November 29 – December 2, 2018.
- Inamori Foundation Awards the 34th Kyoto Prize to Scientists and Artist in the Fields of "Advanced Technology", "Basic Science", and "Arts and Philosophy"
- KYOCERA reflects on integral philosophy of Founder Dr. Kazuo Inamori to respect the divine and love people
- Kyocera wins CEATEC Award for “Amcenna” IoT Antenna
- KYOCERA celebrates 27 years of sustainability at the core of operations
- Kyocera wins Supplier Award
- KYOCERA IS THE MOST RELIABLE BRAND FOR COLOUR MFPs
- Kyocera presents a firework display of innovations at the electronica 2018
- KYOCERA introduces reliable, Waterproof Branch Connector for harsh conditions of automotive electronics
- KYOCERA ANNOUNCES LAUNCH OF NEW CONTENT SERVICES TEAM
- KYOCERA to Build New Manufacturing Plant in Kanagawa, Japan for Conductive and Insulation Pastes
- KYOCERA Group to Exhibit Innovative Technologies and Products at CEATEC JAPAN 2018 Tradeshow Oct. 16-19
- KYOCERA proves environmental management sustainability through ISO 14001:2015 certification