KYOCERA’s New Industrial Cutting Tool with Ultra-Durable Coating Materials Maximizes Steel Cutting Performance
New CA025P CVD coating technology and base material with excellent durability ensures long-term cutting performance for automotive and industrial machining
10 May 2018
Kyoto/London – Kyocera announced today that it has developed a new ultra-durable coating technology and base material for indexable industrial cutting tool inserts to improve steel machining. The new CA025P CVD Coated Carbide grade will be available to the European market from the middle of May 2018.
Steel is often used in numerous industries including automotive and industrial machining. There is a growing demand for long-lasting inserts with excellent resistance against wear, fracturing and chipping capable of stable machining performance over a wide range of cutting conditions. Kyocera’s new industrial cutting tool series features multilayer CVD coatings with a layer using a thick film of aluminum oxide (Al2O3) for excellent heat resistance. Utilizing cemented carbide as a base material ensures excellent fracture resistance, long-term performance, and longer tool life. These new cutting tools can accommodate a wide range of machining applications from roughing to finishing by using a variety of chipbreakers. Kyocera aims to support customers by reducing the frequency of insert replacements and improving production yield.
|Complete number of insert types||74|
|Recommended application||Interrupted to continuous machining|
|Annual sales target||300 million yen|
|Production facility||Kagoshima Sendai Plant|
1. New CVD coating with enhanced chipping and wear resistance
The thick film aluminum oxide (Al2O3) with excellent heat resistance is applied to the new base material as one of its coating layers. This material ensures longer tool life by reducing the amount of wear. During the cutting process, the unique surface structure of the coating resists welding and chipping of the insert.
2. New base material ensures excellent fracture resistance
The optimized composition of the cemented carbide base material is resistant to high temperatures. This helps prevent fracturing of the insert.
3. A wide range of applications with four chipbreaker styles
The new CVD inserts can accommodate a wide range of steel machining applications from roughing to finishing with the availability of four different chipbreaker styles (PG, GS, PQ, and PP).
|PG||Medium to roughing (recommended for interrupted machining)||Excellent chip control and a tough cutting edge provides stable machining|
|GS||Medium to roughing (recommended for continuous machining)||Low resistance with complex land|
|PQ||Finishing to medium||Prevents chip clogging and lowers cutting resistance during high feed machining|
|PP||Finishing||Prevents chip clogging and chip recutting at higher feed rates and small depths of cut|
For more information on KYOCERA: www.kyocera.eu
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- Kyocera Receives Japan’s Environment Minister’s Award for Record 9th Consecutive Year
- Kyocera to Participate in Self-Driving Bus Test Project on JR East BR Lines
- Innovative, durable, and beautiful: Kyocera presents high-quality kitchen tools demonstrating the advantages of its ceramic technology at the BBC Good Food Show in Birmingham from November 29 – December 2, 2018.
- Inamori Foundation Awards the 34th Kyoto Prize to Scientists and Artist in the Fields of "Advanced Technology", "Basic Science", and "Arts and Philosophy"
- KYOCERA reflects on integral philosophy of Founder Dr. Kazuo Inamori to respect the divine and love people
- Kyocera wins CEATEC Award for “Amcenna” IoT Antenna
- KYOCERA celebrates 27 years of sustainability at the core of operations
- Kyocera wins Supplier Award
- KYOCERA IS THE MOST RELIABLE BRAND FOR COLOUR MFPs
- Kyocera presents a firework display of innovations at the electronica 2018
- KYOCERA introduces reliable, Waterproof Branch Connector for harsh conditions of automotive electronics
- KYOCERA ANNOUNCES LAUNCH OF NEW CONTENT SERVICES TEAM
- KYOCERA to Build New Manufacturing Plant in Kanagawa, Japan for Conductive and Insulation Pastes
- KYOCERA Group to Exhibit Innovative Technologies and Products at CEATEC JAPAN 2018 Tradeshow Oct. 16-19
- KYOCERA proves environmental management sustainability through ISO 14001:2015 certification